Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Project #15

Search Engines
  1. Yahoo
  2. Bing
  3. Ask
  4. DuckDuckGo
  5. WolframAlpha
  6. Blekko
  7. iSEEK
  8. Intute
Yahoo is very similar to Google, and if you do your email through Yahoo this search engine would probably very convenient for you to use. I do not personally use Yahoo, because it always seemed more of a gossip and celebrity search engine more than anything. The Yahoo homepage has way to much going on and it makes the site look hectic and messy. However, there are many more category options on the lefthand side of the homepage that seems very useful.

Bing looks the closest to Google to me. The layout of the homepage is almost identical. I do like that it shows major events and news links that are pictured going across the bottom of the Bing homepage. It looks more simple than Yahoo and I like my search engines to be very simple. Also, while you type in your words in the search engine a picture and information will pop up to the right of the search engine to make sure you are typing exactly the information you want to know. 

Ask was a search engine i remembered using as a kid on projects in middle school. Ask.com seems a little childish in a way. Although it is not a "child's search engine" I always thought I grew up that it wasn't the best way to get information from the web. When using Ask, it answers your questions, so you put a question in the search engine, for example "Who is Miley Cyrus?" and the information comes flooding in. 

DuckDuckGo is a search engine that I have never used before. Its not the best, but its not horrible either. I like how the homepage is very simple, and offers you to "Take a Tour" of the site, and shows all the information available on DuckDuckGo. I liked how top articles popped up across the top of the screen when you type a certain thing in the search engine. This is a good search engine but its not anything more than Google is offering.

WolframAlpha is very interesting search engine! I had never use this search engine before and I like it very much. I typed in "miley cyrus" and what popped up wasn't sites to other places about her, but it provided me with a page of information just on her, very similar to a Wiki page information on Miley Cyrus. I did like this search engine a lot, but if you were looking for more information from other sites this search engine might not be best for you.

Blekko is very similar to Yahoo to me. This search engine seems to be used more for celebrities and gossip. The homepage is very simple, but it has who are the trending celebrities only on the front. I wouldn't use this site, because it doesn't seem like I would get any good information from it. 

iSeek is a very outdated search engine. It hasn't upgraded with technology at all. Not much information came up either when I searched from it. The lefthand side shows information that you might think is helpful, but it just makes what you wrote in the search engine categorized better. I would not use this search engine.

Intute is an educational search engine. The homepage is very organized and nice, with categories available right in front of you that are educational. It also has a blog information square on the homepage which I think its great because blogs have become so important in education. When using the search engine to look up information, the sites that are given are good sites with good educational information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment