Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Blog Post #14

Teaching Can Be a Profession by Joel Klein 


I enjoyed getting to read the article, Teaching Can Be a Profession by Joel Klein. Klein, who runs the New York City's public school system, mentions how if he could change one thing "...it would be to professionalize teaching, making it like other well-respected professions, such as law and medicine." and I couldn't agree more. I can personally say I have seen people 'feel bad' for me that I want to become a teacher. I also want to see teaching to become a prestigious thing to become, and for it to be a profession that is sought after, like medical and law fields. However, Klein says that for teaching to become for respectable a lot of things would have to change. Only the best teachers should be chosen to teach, and the schools should do a better job of weeding out teachers that are incompetent. Also, 'seniority' cannot be the basis of how to categorize teachers. Performance is everything, and if teachers aren't meeting the standards then they shouldn't be in the classroom. Klein seems to be severe with his opinions, but isn't that the best way to get the TOP QUALITY of education for our younger generations?
Doctor lawyer firefighter teacher

1 comment:

  1. Great post Sarah! I couldn't agree more that teaching needs to be a more sought after job. Without the job being taken seriously this will not happen. The only thing that would make you post easier to read would be to clarify if and how you would change Mr. Klien's ideas right after you mentioned the idea. Keep up the good work!


    Twitter: @sydneybreeves
    Email: sydneybreeves@gmail.com
    URL for class blog: http://edm310.blogspot.com/
    URL for my blog: http://reevessydneyedm310.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete